The Heathmont College Sports Academy has been established to enhance students Sporting, Academic and Vocational opportunities through a holistic sporting approach. Encouraging students to be engaged in a program that aims to help them reach their potential in all areas of life.
The aim of Heathmont College Sports Academy is to:
- Offer a student-athlete friendly environment, welcoming students of all abilities who have a hunger to get better.
- Further develop the athlete’s knowledge through a holistic sporting approach including academic curriculum, health and wellbeing, performance analysis, fitness testing, sports psychology, game sense education and many more.
- Deliver an opportunity to extend their sporting talents via a detailed, supportive and flexible sports academy curriculum that covers enhancement opportunities, match-play, strength and conditioning education, high-performance training, nutrition and recovery education.
- Provide professionally accredited coaches that oversee each academy program and facilitate team and individual feedback through the standard academy structure and term-based progress meetings.
- Expose athlete to competition opportunities through school sport, interschool sport and other sporting academies.
- Training opportunities both at school and in the wider community.
- Fully tailored strength and conditioning program for each student that is reviewed as needed.
- Support students in future career planning, development and aspirations through numerous strands including sporting pathways.
- Mentor student-athletes through all experiences at Heathmont College (Holistic approach)
Sports Academy Facilities
|AFL / AFLW||Basketball||ADP (Athlete Development Program)*|
- ADP (Athlete Development Program) – This Athlete Development Program will focus on providing a strength and conditioning, cardio and recovery, program tailored to the student-athletes identified sport. This program will also provide students the opportunity to cross learn through other sports.
- Seniors: Monday, Wednesday and Friday , 7:30am – 9:00am
- Intermediates: Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30am – 9:00am + Wednesday 3:15pm – 4:30pm
- Juniors: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 3:15pm – 4:30pm
- ADP Athletes: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 7:30am – 9:00am
- All athlete training groups are provided with Strength and Conditioning (S&C) sessions
|SENIORS||Technical Training: 7:30am – 9:00am||S&C Training 3:15pm – 4:45pm||Technical Training: 7:30am – 9:00am||S&C Training: 3:15pm – 4:45pm||Technical Training: 7:30am – 9:00am|
|INTERMEDIATES||S&C Training: 7:30am – 9:00am & 3:15pm – 4:45pm (Group Basis)||Technical Training: 7:30am – 9:00am||Technical Training: 3:15pm – 4:30pm||Technical Training: 7:30am – 9:00am||S&C Training: 7:30am – 9:00am (Group Basis)|
|JUNIORS||Technical Training: 3:15pm – 4:30pm||Technical Training: 3:15pm – 4:30pm
S&C Training: 7:30am – 9:00am (Group Basis)
|S&C Training: 7:30am – 9:00am (Group Basis)||Technical Training: 3:15pm – 4:30pm
S&C Training: 7:30am – 9:00am (Group Basis)
|ADP (Athlete Development Program)||Training: 7:30pm – 9:00am||Training: 7:30am – 9:00am||Training: 7:30am – 9:00am|
Sports Academy sessions include:
- Elite Coaching – Large Groups, Teams, Individuals
- Technical Skill development
- Tactical Skill development
- Health, Wellbeing & Mentoring sessions
- Competitions/Inter-academy competitions
- Fitness testing, Data Analysis & Video Analysis
- Peer Analysis and Assessment
- Leadership & Personal Development
- Rehab & Recovery
- Academic Support
At Heathmont College, we value the importance of education. Importantly, Heathmont College Sports Academy will offer ongoing support to all student-athletes to help balance their demanding schedules. This will be arranged through term-based progress meetings and weekly academic support classes that are offered to all academy students.
*Weekly academic support classes must be attended by those students who have failed to hand in work on time to a satisfactory standard.
‘Want to know more? Have a ‘Coach Conversation’
Use this form to request additional information from a Heathmont College Sports Academy Coach or contact Brian at Brian.Vaughns@education.vic.gov.au
Use this form to request additional information from a Heathmont College Sports Academy Coach.
Are you interested? Start the Application Process Below
If applying through the Grade 6 to Year 7 Transition process please place Heathmont College as your 1st preference on your Transition Placement Form.
If you are currently enrolled in a secondary school or study centre you will also need to complete the Application for Enrolment found on our website under Enrolments / Application for Enrolment. Based upon your application you may be interviewed by an Assistant Principal and Director of Sports Academy for enrolment.
Please complete the following form to apply to the Heathmont College Sports Academy.
It is important when looking to apply to Heathmont College Sports Academy, you choose Heathmont College as your preferred school. Once enrolled with Heathmont College, we will then process your enrolment in Sports Academy.. If accepted, this means you have a position in the academy for that calendar year. You do not automatically get accepted the following year. Student-Athletes are required to maintain a minimum behaviour and academic standard, as well as abide by all terms and conditions set out in the ‘Student-Athlete Agreement’ that is signed at the commencement of each year. Students who fail to meet these standards or fail to uphold the agreement, may have academy sessions taken away from them or even worse, will forfeit their position in the Academy when deemed by the Director, selection panel and Heathmont College. NO REFUNDS will be given to students who forfeit their position. A yearly review/application process will be undertaken throughout the year as to whether your child will receive placement the following year.
Brian Vaughns – Sports Academy Director